The DJI Phantom 4 is a serious high-end drone for the dedicated quadcopter enthusiast. It is by no means budget-friendly, but it’s incredible performance, quality and features make up for the hefty price tag. This is without a doubt the smartest drone we have ever tested. The artificial intelligence in this thing is out of this world, it can see better than you, fly better, shoot better all the while being a joy to manually fly.
If you are looking for a high-end, high-tech aircraft that can do literally anything you set your mind to, then the DJI Phantom 4 is for you. It might be pricey, but if you can afford it, we guarantee you won’t regret it.
During our testing of the this drone, we managed to do things, take shots and get footage like never before. It is simply put the best of the best quadcopter around the 1000-1500$ price class.
- Unparalleled AI, able to scout areas, dodge obstacles, and more
- Best overall quadcopter in the 1000-1500$ price class
- 4k Ultra HD video at 30fps, 1080p HD video at 120 fps
- Aircraft-grade quality build
Features & Specifications – What makes the Phantom 4 so amazing
Quadcopters from DJI tend to have a lot of great extra features. The Phantom 4 however, takes the cake. Never has there been so many incredible and useful features in a UAV of its price class.
- Auto takeoff & Return home: This thing will take off perfectly with the push of a button and return home safely when the batteries run out, or when instructed to do so. All the while it will dodge every obstacle on the way home, you can even tell it to fly through a forest and it will literally not hit a single tree. Although it might choose to fly above them.
- 4k UHD Video at 30fps / 1080p HD video at 120 fps: This is just insane. Not only does this drone have more features for shooting great video and pictures than any other. It also has absolutely incredible video recording quality.
- 12.0MP (4000 x 3000) photos: Obviously it’s not only fantastic at recording videos, the camera is also awesome and does some incredible wide shots with the f/2.8 lens.
- Gimbal stabilization technology: Pretty much just the next evolution of hovering technology. This is included in its many features to grant the cleanest footage possible, and it works like a charm.
- Follow me mode: Attach the camera’s vision to a specific person or object and it will follow that person tirelessly all the while hovering perfectly. You can also set it to hover around the said person in perfect 360-degree circles or other desired patterns.
- Point of interest: While this is a normal feature among DJI drones, the Phantom 4 takes it to the next level. Not only can it take perfect shots of a specific area or object. It can now do so on a moving object. This turned out so awesome for water sports.
- Sports Mode: Increase the top flight speed by 25%, without compromising the safety of the aircraft. This is perfect for thrill seekers looking for awesome footage of their downhill longboarding or something of the sort.
- Gesture Mode: The high-tech camera is able to recognize physical gestures and can even be controlled to a certain extent by the movements you make. As an example, you can set a specific gesture to be the ”selfie” move. Causing the drone to take a picture when you make it.
- Route/Waypoints: Again a very classical feature but with a twist. Not only can you set an entire route for the Phantom 4 to follow, but it is able to effectively spot obstacles and reroute automatically if necessary.
Features specific to the Phantom 4 PRO version
While we in this review mostly focus on the standard Phantom 4 version, we will also take a look at the Pro and Pro+ editions. In an attempt to decide if the upgrade is worth the extra money.
- Support H.264 4K videos at 60fps or H.265 4K at 30fps, all at a 100Mbps bitrate. Allowing for insane video processing.
- The camera has a 1-inch 20MP sensor
- Camera has been upgraded with a 1-inch Megapixel CMOS sensor
- Have 5 directional sensors
- Built in 1080p screen on the remote, making it incredibly smooth and easy to control
While these upgrades are all awesome features, you do pay quite a lot for the upgrade. Unless you have a very large budget or is a very dedicated drone enthusiast we would not directly recommend the PRO version, seeing as the regular Phantom 4 is so awesome in on itself. The 5 directional camera on the PRO version is especially nice.
Whats in the box?
- DJI Phantom 4
- Battery charger
- 4 propeller pairs
- Power cable
- Gimbal clamp
- USB OTG cable
- Micro USB cable
- Micro 16GB SD card
- Phantom 4 carrying case
The case made for carrying the Phantom 4 around is a really nice and not something we usually see. Furthermore, the extra propellers are always awesome, seeing as it is usually those that break first on a Quadcopter.
So, is this entry-level professional drone worth it? That is entirely subjective and comes down to your dedication to the craft and your budget. If you have a genuine love for drones and have a solid budget, then this could be the best purchase you will ever make.
It is by far the best camera/video UAV of its price range, and in terms of value and quality for the money, it truly delivers. The smart sensors and array of features make shooting sessions easier and more fun than ever. I can honestly say that testing the Phantom 4 has been the most fun I’ve had in a long time. Even just playing around with the gesture mode, sports mode etc. are so much fun!
I would basically recommend this to anyone who isn’t on a tight budget. It honestly made me rediscover my love for quadcopters. Just when I thought I had tried them all this phenomenal drone came along and opened a whole new world of possibilities for me.
You should get this drone if:
- You are a dedicated drone hobbyist
- If you love taking awesome pictures and recording top-notch video content
- If you are looking for a drone of pro-level quality
In short, one of the best drones on the market, regardless of price class. It can even compete with considerably more expensive UAV’s, DJI has truly created a masterpiece with this one.